Wednesday 18 October 2017

Crocheted shadow blanket

Hand crochet shadow blanket

This year's big blanket project has been to devise a shadow blanket. I saw some really lovely sewn quilts made out of coloured squares that had the illusion of floating above a neutral background. This inspired me to to see if I could make a crocheted version. This is what I ended up with. I made loads of granny square style squares with a dark grey shadow line along two of the sides. On the flat bits of the bed, the squares do appear to be floating above the silver base colour. I love it when a plan comes together!


Here's a close up of the border.


And another showing the join. The way I joined meant it was a trifle off centre in the middle of each intersection. This slightly irks the obsessive perfectionist bit of my brain. On the other hand, overall the effect works and I have a splendid blanket. B-u-u-u-ut ... I think it could be even better without the ridge of the joining stitch.

The above used Stylecraft Special DK in a variety of colours, just leave a message if you'd like to know which colours; I wrote them down somewhere so I will dig it out. I also know how much yarn each stage took so I can give the amount of yarn needed, I just have to get round to doing the maths. Overall it weighs 2,200g. 

I have decided to make another one with a different join and with a restricted colour pallet. I will be sharing how to make all the various bits here on my blog as I go so if anyone else would like the pattern, just follow along!

7 comments:

  1. I love it sue! So talented xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really effective, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever make your 2nd blanket? I love the look and definitely am going to Pinterest this picture. Thanks for sharing your talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen for such a lovely comment. Sorry I missed it and didn’t reply earlier. I have nearly finished the second one and should be able to put the pattern up in a little while. Keep an eye out,

      Delete
    2. Hello again, Annelies Baes has just published a very similar blanket to this so I probably won’t bother to finish my pattern now. I suggest you go check it out on Ravelry, it’s called Double A Design (if link below doesn’t work). https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/double-a-design-blanket

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting, I love it when people leave me messages!