Tuesday 2 January 2018

The best day of Christmas



Never mind the twelve days, the best day of Christmas for me is when the decorations go back into their box.

I’ve put everything away early this year. I know twelfth night is the traditional time but if over-enthusiastic people can start the dratted season early, I can also be a bit previous in calling a halt. 

It’s been even easier to pack up this year, I got an artificial tree for the first time. For 35 years, I always favoured  a real tree in the interests of authenticity but Christmas doesn’t have any credibility any more so why continue to strive for that. 

No needles has meant the happy task has been completed a bit too quickly but it’s still just as satisfying to tape the box up! My heart feels lighter and gladder when Christmas and New Year are over; now that really is something to celebrate. 

6 comments:

  1. We must be on the same wavelength - packed Christmas away yesterday as I wanted my living room back, plus we had an artificial tree for the first time in 20 years...no mess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was encouraged to get one when I saw you had gone for it over on Facebook! Just a bit of glitter from the baubles to vacuum up and I was done! (They might get whizzed next year) :-)

      Delete
  2. We also packed up early this year and I somehow felt glad to see the back of it. Christmas goes on for too long, starting way too early for me, so I was really glad to get back to normal early - even if normal means a return to living in a building site at the moment!
    Happy New Year !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Jean, the build up is far too long. I usually enjoy Christmas day itself, I wish it was less commercial. Good luck with your building work (doing some more here soon!) Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. How encouraging to read that my own feelings are shared. No-one was happier than me on Jan 2 when everything could get back to normal. I haven't taken part in cards or presents for years - I find that whole side of things obscene. I haven't put up decorations for years either.

    The Solstice - now that is something to mark and celebrate, the moment when the depressingly dark nights begin to draw out. We can start to look forward to the Spring. I believe that's what all of the winter festivals are ultimately based on.

    Happy New Year to you too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn’t agree more, Sheila and admire your stance. The solstice is always special, I love it now the longer days are noticeably longer!

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting, I love it when people leave me messages!