Friday 1 May 2015

Perfectly matched socks



Well these aren't really perfectly matched are they? My latest creation using some self-patterning yarn bought in Oakham (Drops Fabel Print if memory serves). I have been using self-patterning or self-striping yarn to knit socks since I started knitting socks a few years ago. 

We're on holiday at the moment and naturally I bought plenty of things to knit, crochet and read along with me. One of the books I bought with me is At Knit's End by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (aka The Yarn Harlot). Until I read this book, it never occurred to me to try to knit exactly matching pairs using self-patterning yarn, On page 75 she says "It can be fun and interesting to work with, but be warned. For those inclined to be obsessive , it can lead to a dangerous fixation with making the two socks match". Obviously, since the subject has been brought up, now I'M obsessed with doing this. 

I must have dozens of mis-matched ones in my sock drawer. As someone who considers herself to be quite a good knitter, I have only just now realised how lazy it is not to at least try to match the pattern on them both. How often have other sock knitters been looking at my socks and laughing?! 

I have some Opal Sweet & Spicy yarn with me, also purchased in Oakham, I'm going to try to knit two identical socks with it ...


Here goes .... Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Good Luck! Love the socks and a happy Beltane to you :) Love Gaynor xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather like the idea of almost but not quite matching socks!
    In fact I'm in awe of your being able to knit any socks at all, it always looks so complicated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually easier than you might think, Jean; I hardly ever wear shop bought socks now!

      Delete
  3. I'd be just grateful to complete a pair - there must be a lot of single socks lurking in the yarnpile. So don't you worry about them matching, at least you have pairs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, so you suffer from Single Sock Sydrome, my sympathy, Caroline!

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting, I love it when people leave me messages!