Wednesday, 12 January 2011

New kiln; I think I love the FedEx man

My new kiln arrived just before lunchtime. It's a diddy little thing compared to the old one, teeny but I never used to fill up the old one anyway; I tend to make beads for about 4 hours at a time and this will easily take half a day's lampwork output.

I've been going crackers without my kiln this week. I even feebly tried turning on my Paragon in the hope that the christmas rest had done it some good and it would suddenly work again. Never mind, now my new one is here, I can finally make some more beads! I made a sandwich and read the manual cover to cover whilst eating it (yes I am THAT sort of person!)

I was just about to take it out to the studio to give it a trial run and the power went off in the house and possibly the entire village. The people in the big house opposite are having some work done and I have a feeling their workmen did something. I couldn't believe it! How unlucky am I?!

By the time it came back on again, it was time for me to make dinner, we are having lamb stew tonight and as it takes at least a couple of hours to cook, I was chopping and browning instead of playing with my kiln. It's bubbling away nicely on the stove now but we'll be eating in an hour or so, I really want to sit and hold it's hand on its first run through to make sure everything is AOK so I think it'll be tomorrow before I know whether I love my new kiln as much as I do the FedEx man who brought it to me.


  1. one very nice shiny new toy and wow Sue, i admire your patience!! It sitting there begging to be played with! Enjoy and i look forward to seeing what comes out of it.

  2. Can't wait to see how well your kiln works out, and of course oggle your beads!

  3. Don't you just love new toys...go forth and fill it up with beads.

  4. I had to re-arrange the studio a bit to accommodate it, even though it's much smaller than my previous one, the way I wanted to get it plugged in meant it was in the way of a the ventilation fan so I had to lower a shelf to get it all sorted out.

    Miss Patience I was not when wielding a screwdriver and everything getting in the way. I just want to make beads, I'm not a DIY-er! I could've been doing that yesterday afternoon really; oh well, it's all done now though and it is annealing it's first lot of new beads as I speak.

    I will have to go out and check it's cooling at the right rate at intervals throughout the rest of the afternoon and evening, but any excuse to gaze upon its inherent loveliness :-)

  5. It's so small! I'll bet you can't wait to use tools are SO much fun. Show us what it looks like when loaded.

  6. Hi Betsy, lovely to see you here :-) and thank you everyone for earlier comments.

    It's a good job beads are so small! I've used it 4 times so far but not filled it up yet! I think this kiln and I are going to be bestest buddies. :-)


Thanks so much for visiting, I love it when people leave me messages!